8 Things You Should Know if You Are Thinking About Adoption From Foster Care – the Adoption Process Series, Part 2
- You are eligible to adopt if you are between 21 and 70 years old. With such a wide age range, people at different stages of their lives, whether just starting out or an empty nester, can provide a loving home to a child in foster care.
- You can be single, married or partnered. Successful families come in all shapes and sizes.
- You can rent or own your home or apartment. A child in foster care needs a home that is safe, clean, and that they can call their own.
- You must be financially stable and clear foster and adoption fingerprinting.
- There is no fee to adopt from foster care. In fact, families receive a tax credit for placement and most families may receive Adoption Assistance Program (AAP) funds after finalization.
- The journey from orientation to adoption finalization can take as little as 12 months or more commonly up to 18-24 months.
- Children will receive MediCal until they are 18 years old.
- Post-adoption support services are available for the family throughout all stages of life. All children and families go through transitions and many agencies, like Sierra Forever Families, provide therapeutic support services as well as other support groups for parents.
Why choose Sierra Forever Families? We are nationally accredited, honor best practice standards with a well-established, diverse and supportive team. We provide 24-hour support, are transparent in our processes and we put children first. Give us a call for more information and learn how you can change the life of a child.